The boundary fencing was erected during 1893-94, and the levelling, laying out and planting was completed by October 1894. The plot reserved for the Splott Branch Library (now known as the Old Library), which was built at the same time, was 75 feet by 40 feet.] The Library was officially opened on 16th October 1894 and was the first purpose built library (reading rooms) in Cardiff. A caretaker’s shelter for the open space was incorporated into the building.
The Gardens and Library were formally opened to the public on May 30th 1895. The Parks Committee planned to add a bandstand, but the Council did not approve the expenditure and the Committee agreed in January 1896 to abandon the plan. Nevertheless bands were engaged to play at Moorland Gardens when the Council decided in 1902 to provide band music in the parks. When the much larger Splott Park was created nearby a bandstand was placed there.